SHERIFF JOE RESPONDS TO FEDERAL LAWSUIT
DOJ announces plans to file complaint over alleged racial profiling
by Jerome Corsi
May 9, 2012
Attorney General Eric Holder today submitted a notice of his Justice Department’s intent to file a lawsuit against Arizona Sheriff Joe Arapaio for alleged racial profiling.
Arpaio’s Cold Case Posse, meanwhile, has found probable cause in its ongoing investigation that Barack Obama’s published birth certificate and Selective Service registration forms are forgeries.
Holder has sought an agreement to establish a court monitor inside Arpaio’s Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office who would clear every decision he makes.
Arpaio has denied the profiling allegations and refuses to allow the Obama DOJ to usurp his authority.
“It’s politics,”Arpaio told WND after Holder’s announcement today.
The sheriff noted that he plans to hold another news conference shortly to reveal more information about his investigation into Obama’s eligibility.
Arpaio has challenged the DOJ to present his office with evidence to support its allegations of systematic violations of civil rights.
Just as the DOJ was notifying Arpaio of its intent to sue, the sheriff released a new report documenting how his office has handled the issues raised by the DOJ.
Justice officials say Arpaio’s refusal to allow a court monitor ended negotiations.
Read the preliminary findings of Sheriff Arpaio’s Cold Case Posse investigation after six months investigating Obama’s constitutional eligibility to serve as president in “A Question of Eligibility,” co-authored by Jerome Corsi and Mike Zullo.
The formal notification of the DOJ’s intent to sue was dispatched by Assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas Perez, the chief of the DOJ’s civil rights division.
The DOJ alleged in a report last December that Arpaio’s office racially profiled suspects and based immigration enforcement actions on “racially charged” complaints.
Arpaio earlier told the DOJ he has no intention of quitting, and he’s looking forward to seeing the government’s arguments.
“They forget I have a four-decades long career in federal law enforcement,” he said earlier.
He’s running for another term as Maricopa County sheriff.
WND previously reported the attacks on Arpaio suggested White House coordination in an effort to remove from him from office or discredit him before his investigation uncovers more about Obama’s past.
The pressure on Arpaio includes an effort by political operative Randy Parraz, a self-described “organizer,” to oust him from office. Parraz, together with a small group of activists called “Citizens for a Better Arizona,” have tried to disrupt meetings of the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors to demand the oversight group vote to request Arpaio’s resignation.
More pressure also came recently with the disbarment of Maricopa County attorney Andrew Thomas in a complicated corruption case that WND already reported was being turned against Arpaio.
Thomas and Assistant Prosecutor Lisa Aubuchon were disbarred for filing criminal charges against Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Gary Donahoe and two members of the Board of Supervisors that oversees Arpaio’s office – Mary Rose Wilcox and Don Stapley, both determined Arpaio foes.
The corruption charges against Wilcox and Stapley were never adjudicated after a Pima County judge dismissed the case due to prosecutorial misconduct.
But as many as 11 Maricopa County employees have been terminated in recent months for allegedly accepting bribes in a court tower construction scandal. The case was one of the Thomas investigations that was terminated by the counter-attack that resulted in the disbarment decision.
In addition, a grand jury brought more than 100 charges against Stapley for a wide variety of alleged criminal activity, including failing to file financial disclosures and accepting expensive gifts, such as three-week Hawaiian vacations and expensive ski trips for him and his family.
Now, Arpaio’s opponents in Arizona are pressing for a federal criminal grand jury to press charges against him for his involvement with Thomas in trying to root out corruption in Maricopa County.
Arpaio allies who see a coordinated attack by the Justice Department also point to the resignation of Dennis Burke, a prominent Democratic Party operative in Arizona, just as the House Oversight Committee and an internal Justice Department investigation began focusing on the role Arizona played in Fast and Furious. The scandalous gun-tracing operation has prompted a House probe targeting Holder.
Patrick J. Cunningham, the head of the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Arizona, has said he would take the Fifth Amendment if forced to testify before Congress regarding Fast and Furious.
At the time he resigned, Burke was considered a possible Democratic Party gubernatorial candidate or a candidate for the seat being vacated by Republican Arizona Sen. Jon Kyl.
In addition, Arpaio’s defenders say, the Associated Press republished an old story about a sex crimes cases allegedly botched by Arpaio’s office. The writer said he had been told by his editors to dig out the old material.
Arpaio earlier challenged a 22-page DOJ complaint against his department as nothing more than anecdotal and lacking proof.
At the time, Arpaio said: “If the Justice Department wants to take me to court, I’m ready.”