August 27, 2010
Before there was 9/11,there was 10/12. Do you remember? We are nearing the 10th anniversary of the USS Cole bombing that took the lives of these American heroes on Oct. 12, 2000:
Electronics Technician 1st Class Richard Costelow
Mess Management Specialist Lakina Francis
Information Systems Technician Tim Guana
Signalman Seaman Recruit Cherone Gunn
Seaman James McDaniels
Engineman 2nd Class Mark Nieto
Electronics Warfare Technician 3rd Class Ronald Owens
Seaman Recruit Lakiba Parker
Engineman Fireman Joshua Parlett
Fireman Apprentice Patrick Roy
Electronics Warfare Technician Kevin Rux
Petty Officer 3rd Class Ron Santiago
Operations Special 2nd Class Timothy Sanders
Fireman Gary Swenchonis Jr
Ensign Andrew Triplett
Seaman Apprentice Craig Wibberly
Hull Maintenance Technician 3rd Class Kenneth Clodfelter.
In another disgraceful act of the Obama Department of Social Justice, the Washington Post reports that the feds are “shelving” prosecution of a major USS Cole bombing suspect at Gitmo. Why? Because of bad optics.
The Obama administration has shelved the planned prosecution of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, the alleged coordinator of the Oct. 2000 suicide attack on the USS Cole in Yemen, according to a court filing. The decision at least temporarily scuttles what was supposed to be the signature trial of a major al-Qaeda figure under a reformed system of military commissions.
…Military officials said a team of prosecutors in the Nashiri case has been ready go to trial for some time. And several months ago, military officials seemed confident that Nashiri would be arraigned this summer.
“It’s politics at this point,” said one military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss policy. He said he thinks the administration does not want to proceed against a high-value detainee without some prospect of civilian trials for other major figures at Guantanamo Bay.
A White House official disputed that.
Spitting on the graves of the fallen.
Last week, Judge James Pohl, the military judge preparing to try al-Nashiri, denied Obama’s executive orderand refused to halt the proceedings. Judge Pohl said the request to halt the trial was “unpersuasive,” and the trial would go forward. Some of us stood up and cheered.
Now, the Honorable Susan J. Crawford has upheld Obama’s order and dropped the charges against al-Nashiri “without prejudice,” – which means new charges can be brought against him at a later time.
Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said al-Nashiri will remain in prison for the time being. What the heck does that mean? I don’t feel any better … do you? Do we think, that Obama will think, that al-Nashiri will now be held at Gitmo with absolutely no charges against him – indefinitely?
The Honorable Susan J. Crawford is the “convening authority” “who approves charges against persons determined to be alien, unlawful enemy combatants….” She was appointed to the position by Secretary of Defense Robert Gates. She obviously does not have the authority to undo Obama’s Executive Order, and we really cannot expect her to make a protest stand here, and obviously she can over-rule Judge Pohl. There is only one person to blame and that is Barack Obama.
Nine months before the USS Cole was bombed, al-Nashiri directed an attempted bombing of the USS The Sullivans. The boat carrying the bombs to the ship was overload and the boat sank. Nine months later, we know the story.
***UPDATE October 12, 2012**
On the 12th year anniversary of the terrorist bombing of the USS Cole:
They also say the alleged mastermind of the bombing shouldn’t be compelled to come to court proceedings against his wishes
The defenders say Nashiri should be allowed to voluntarily stay in his cell, which he did during a hearing in July. The prosecutors say the accused war criminal does not get to decide. The judge has said he is reluctant to interfere in an evolving prison camp policy, which is to deliver an accused defendant to Camp Justice if he has a court date.
“A capital proceeding where the accused can sit just a short distance from the courthouse and be allowed to decide on his own caprice whether to attend on any particular day runs in direct contravention to the strongest of public interests in ensuring that justice, no matter the result, is seen to have been served for these charges,” prosecutors wrote the judge in July.
Neither the defense attorney’s motion for delay nor the judge’s deadline for a response were released to the public on Wednesday.
Did the 17 DEAD and 39 wounded servicemen/women aboard the USS Cole have a choice that fateful day? Why should the mastermind of this evil deed have choices?
REMEMBER the USS COLE. Terrorist attack October 12, 2000 (President Clinton’s watch).
In the days after the attack, President Clinton vowed retribution against the terrorists. “You will not find a safe harbor,” he proclaimed. “We will find you and justice will prevail.”
But in his final months in office, Clinton never retaliated against al-Qaida, frustrating some of his own counterterrorism advisors. Clinton later told the 9/11 commission he was never shown hard proof that Osama bin Laden’s operatives were behind the attack.
But two senior investigators — one with the FBI and another with the Naval Criminal Investigative Task Force — recently told NBC News there was actually compelling evidence that al-Qaida was responsible for the bombing almost immediately. Two of the Cole bombers arrested by Yemeni security forces confessed their role and told investigators they were working for two top al-Qaida operatives known to U.S. intelligence — information that was quickly made available to FBI and naval investigative agents.
**Does the above sound familiar America? Hint: Consulate attack in Benghazi, Libya 9/11/12.**
Besides the attack on the Cole…….
Marine barracks in Lebanon Bombed
Suicide bomber killed 241 American troops 27 years ago in barracks
October 23, 1983 at 6:22 a.m.
Most of the 1,500-man Marine expeditionary force was bunked in a four-story concrete building.
241 died: 220 Marine Corps, 18 Navy, three Army.
It was the largest single-day loss of life for Marines since the World War II Battle of Iwo Jima.
A nearly simultaneous explosion nearby killed 58 French soldiers.
The attack at Ft. Hood by Nadal Hasan.
An Army psychiatrist who opened fire at Fort Hood, Texas, killing 12 people and wounding 31 others, was shot but captured alive, military officials said late Thursday.
The gunman, identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, was wounded at the scene but was captured alive and was in stable condition, Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone, commanding general of the Army’s III Corps, said at a press conference late Thursday.
Eleven of the victims died at the scene, military officials said. A 12th died later at a hospital, NBC station KCEN-TV of Waco reported. Cone said that most of those who were shot were military but two were civilians.
Shooting at an Army recruiting station:
Suspect arrested in Arkansas recruiting center shooting
(CNN) — An Arkansas man was arrested Monday in connection with a shooting at a Little Rock military recruiting center that killed one soldier and wounded another, authorities said.
Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad — a 24-year-old Little Rock resident formerly known as Carlos Bledsoe — faces a first-degree murder charge and 15 counts of engaging in a terrorist act, Little Rock Police Chief Stuart Thomas said. The terrorist counts stem from the shots fired at an occupied building.
While authorities continued to investigate a motive, Thomas said Muhammad is a Muslim convert and, based on preliminary interviews with him, investigators believe there were “political and religious motives” in the shooting.
Military officials initially believed the shooting was a random act, but Thomas said police believe the shooter acted alone “with the specific purpose of targeting military personnel.”
Yet Americans are to practice “tolerance” according to Obama.
JUST NO LONGER SILENT.